Microsoft SQL Server – An Introduction
A quick tour of the various programs of SQL Server (T-SQL, DBA, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS), and how to learn them.
This course is a brief presentation of SQL Server.
We will install SQL Server Express for free, install it, and create a database and table.
We’ll also add some data and retrieve it.
We’ll then look at all the various programs that you can use:
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS, which allows you to learn T-SQL and DBA)
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), which automates the conversion of data.
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), which allows the creation of cubes, and
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), which allows for the creation of reports.
We’ll also look at some resources for learning these.
No prior knowledge is required – just a willingness to learn.
See you on the course.
What are the requirements?
- No knowledge of SQL Server at all is needed.
- You need to know how to use a computer, and ideally how to open a spreadsheet.
- This is a free course – you have nothing to lose!
- Why not have a look at the curriculum below and see what you can learn? If you already know this information, then please see my other courses.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Either Download and Install SQL Server Express on your computer – for free
- or Download and Install SQL Server Developer, which used to cost US$100, for free – a full version for personal use only.
- Log in and create a database.
- Create a table, insert and delete data, and delete the table.
- Retrieve the data contained in your table.
- Learn about the different programs contained in SQL Server.
- Find the best resources for learning about them.
What is the target audience?
- This beginner’s course is for you if you want to learn about SQL Server and the various programs.
- If you have already heard about SQL Server, and wish to learn more about T-SQL, then please have a look at my courses.